In 1875 prominent citizen Willard V. Way passed away leaving his sizeable estate to the Perrysburg community. Mr. Way designated a sum of money for the establishment of a library. The living room of the first librarian, Miss Harriet Hulburd, served as the original library, opening in 1881, and was the first library in Wood County. The library was enlarged in 1959 and again in 1983. The present 45,855-square-foot facility was renovated and enlarged in 2001, for which the 2001 AIA Toledo Architectural Award was presented to Munger Munger + Associates Architects, Inc. Way Library has stood at its present site since 1892. Its collection presently holds over 120,000 items.