Appointments start January 27, 2020 for the AARP Tax Preparation Program (AARP TaxAide)
Area volunteers will be providing free assistance to taxpayers with their 2019 Federal, State of Ohio and Ohio School District tax returns starting February 3, 2020 at the Way Public Library, Perrysburg, Ohio. All returns are filed electronically.
Our mission is to provide high quality free income tax assistance and preparation to low and moderate income taxpayers, with special attention to those 60 and older. AARP membership is not required. Approximately 35,000 trained volunteers helped over 2.5 million taxpayers last season at over 5,000 locations nationwide. AARP Foundation TaxAide is offered in cooperation with the IRS.
The following are within the scope of this service:
Earned Income Credits, Child Tax Credits, Unemployment Benefits, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, Education Credits, IRA Contributions, Capital Gains/Losses, Disability Income and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
The following are outside the scope of this service:
Complex tax issues including depreciation, lengthy schedule D’s, casualty losses, complex K-1’s, farm income, employee business expenses over $5,000, and military returns
Taxpayers MUST BRING the following documents to their appointment:
- Drivers license with photo ID or State Identification Card is required for all taxpayers
- Social Security cards for yourself, your spouse and all dependents
- Last year’s tax return
- Current W2’s from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year
- 1099 statement reporting interest (1099-Int), dividend (1099-Div), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
- 1099-R statement if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution
- 1099-MISC statement
- broker tax statements, health insurance documents, state or local income tax refunds, plus any additional documentation you feel is pertinent.
- Social Security year end statements show Medicare payment amounts and qualifies as proof of insurance for the Affordable Care Act.
Beginning Monday, January 27, 2020, appointments can be made by contacting the tax preparation site at 419-874-3135 ext. 136.
Appointments will ONLY be made on Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:00a.m. - 3:00p.m. and Thursdays and Fridays, 10:00a.m. - 4:00p.m. If you choose to leave a voicemail please leave only one. We will return your call. Multiple voicemails slows down our response time in getting back to you.
The AARP TaxAide Program runs from February 3, 2020 through April 10, 2020.